Genetic counsellors are healthcare professionals with training in genetics and counselling. They provide support and information about the inheritance and implications of genetic conditions and genetic testing to help individuals and families make informed decisions. Genetic conditions are caused by gene mutations which can be inherited or “run” in a family. A genetic counsellor will talk to you about hereditary ovarian cancer, including:
- How hereditary ovarian cancer is passed down through families
- Which family members may be affected
- Your risk of developing ovarian cancer
- The genetic tests available
- Results of the genetic test and what they mean
Genetic counselling will provide you with clear, understandable information so that you can make an informed decision about your own health.